This week’s POPP Pointer: Don’t Fall In the App Trap!
Using non-hospital approved applications to perform confidential hospital business (e.g., dictation of patient information) puts our patients’ information and trust at risk.
This is a reminder that Partners and MGH do not currently have an approved, HIPAA-compliant mobile application for dictation of patient information. Therefore, the use of smartphone or mobile applications for dictating patient information (even if de-identified) is prohibited.
What mobile applications may I not use to dictate?
- Apple’s Siri
- Google’s Assistant
- Dragon Dictation
- Dragon Anywhere
- Any other mobile or smart phone application
What tool may I use to dictate?
- Dragon Network Medical Edition (available for local and remote desktop use).
- Contact MGHDragonTraining@partners.org if you are interested in training and access to Dragon.
Thanks for staying clear of the app trap and avoiding a HIPAA mishap!
Questions? Contact the Privacy Office:
All About Access:
Make sure your only access is appropriate accessAbout Access eLearning
Need to Report an Incident?
- Handoff error
- Lost your mobile device that you use for work
- Faxing error
- Concern about your Self Audit?
Contact the Privacy Office to report incidents!
Policy Highlights and Additional Resources:Partners Pulse